Are you thinking about taking up golf? Newcomers to the game need the right equipment to improve their in-game experience and improve their skillset. The putter is the most unique club in your golf bag and a crucial part of your short game. There’s nothing worse than ruining a good fairway performance by chasing the ball around the cup.
The right putter can make a huge impact on your short game. However, you need the right putter to suit your skill level. Beginners need to focus on finding a putter offering them the best alignment with the ball at presentation and a clean putt with a high MOI (Moment of Inertia).
This post reviews the best putter for beginners. We’ll look at your options and make our recommendations. Read our buyers guide to understand what you need to look for in a prospective putter for your golf bag. Are you ready? Let’s dive in.
Our Top Picks
- The Best Overall Golf Putter for Beginners – JamesMilr TopSpin 7 Hybrid
- The Best Premium Golf Putter for Beginners – Cobra Golf King Supernova
- The Best Budget Golf Putter for Beginners – Wilson Harmonized Putter
Golf Putter for Beginners Reviews
The Best Overall Golf Putter for Beginners- JamesMilr TopSpin 7 Hybrid
One of the biggest skills involved with putting is getting the ball rolling immediately. The JamesMilr TopSpin M7 is a hybrid worth adding to your beginner bag. Sure, it’s a pricey piece of equipment, but if you want a putter that lasts through your golfing evolution, it’s the best choice in this review and the market.
The TopSpin 7 is a curved face putter, and it complies with USGA specifications. We start with the forged head of the putter. You’ll find a beautiful dragon insignia on the underside, unlike any other putter design we’ve seen before.
- A Curved FACE PUTTER. Conforms with USGA Rules. Short putting machine. Forged.
- Get the ball rolling immediately. No Hopping, No Skidding, No Side-Spinning.
- The Secret of Magic Rotation : Gear Effect. Best Easy to Hit. Great Direction Control.
- Soft steel. Ferrous special Alloy. Nickel plating. Be Comfortable even in a Fast Green.
- Goose neck. Lie angle : 71' Length : 34" Head weight : 0.78lb For Pro/Low handicapper. Sense of Touch like TOUR PRO. Made in Korea.
This model has a 34-inch shaft featuring design and construction with soft steel materials featuring specialized alloys and nickel plating for an impressive finish. The TopSpin 7 is a great choice for your putter because it immediately gets the ball rolling when making contact.
The head and shaft design feature a goose-neck, providing a “gear effect” when striking the ball. There’s no hopping, side,-spinning, skidding, and you get outstanding directional control from your putts. All you need is a soft touch to the ball to get it to travel, and this model suits short putts to perfection.
The TopSpin comes with a headcover included, protecting the club and that gorgeous dragon design on the head.
What We Liked
- Curved clubface.
- Gear effect for easy soft-touch putting.
- Gets the ball rolling immediately.
- Complies with USGA specifications.
- Headcover included.
The Best Premium Golf Putter for Beginners –Cobra Golf King Supernova
The Cobra King Supernova is our choice for the best premium putter for beginners. This model comes with a steep price tag, but it’s a precision piece of putting equipment. The King Series is the first club from Cobra using 3D printing technology for constructing the clubhead.
You get an innovative 3D-printed nylon lattice optimizing weight distribution throughout the clubhead for a balanced feel in your hands. The Supernova comes with a 284-gram steel frame, a 22-gram aluminum cap, and 30-grams of tungsten in the clubhead toe and heel providing the best MOI for maximum stability. It’s a beginners dream, giving you total control over your putts from any distance.
- 3D Printed Nylon Insert-An intricate 3D printed nylon lattice structure optimizes the weight distribution within the putter head to create the highest MOI possible in a blade shape for maximum stability
- Multi Material Construction-An Oversize blade shape combines 3D printed nylon lattice insert, a 284g steel frame, a 22g aluminum cap, and 30g of tungsten in the heel and toe to provide the highest MOI for maximum stability
- Sik Aluminum Face Insert-An aluminum face insert features SIK Golf proprietary Descending Loft Technology, which utilizes 4 descending lofts to ensure the most consistent and accurate roll for every style of putting stroke
- Cobra Connect Grip-Each Putter is equipped with a Lamkin Smart Grip which features and embedded sensor that syncs to your smart device, Using Arcos Caddie app, users can track their putting stats and improve faster
- Included components: Putter, Headcover
The Supernova is very forgiving, and the SIK Aluminum face insert features proprietary “descending Loft technology” from SIK Golf. This design uses four descending lofts ensuring you get the best accuracy, with consistent performance and good roll.
The top of the clubhead comes with three alignment posts and the goose-neck design to the clubhead compliments the shaft design. This putter comes in 34”, 35”, 37.5”, and 41” models to suit your height. The Cobra Connect Lamkin Smart Grip features sensors integrated into the handle that send performance feedback to an app on your device.
Check out your stats and use the data to improve your game with this smart club. It’s a real innovation in putters, and the perfect choice for beginners. You get a headcover included with your purchase.
What We Liked
- 3D printed lattice.
- SIK Golf proprietary Descending Loft Technology.
- Tungsten heel and toe.
- Smart Grip technology syncs with your phone.
- Headcover included.
The Best Budget Golf Putter for Beginners –Wilson Harmonized Putter
Beginners might find it hard to shell out top-dollar for the first two options in our review. If you’re just getting into golf, you don’t know if you’ll continue with the game. Many golfers find the sport too frustrating, and they quit in despair after a few months of going nowhere with the sport. Golf just isn’t for everybody.
So, if you’re looking for an affordable, high-quality putter for your beginner bag, we recommend the Wilson Harmonized Putter. This model range comes with seven different size options and a one-degree loft in the clubface. The Wilson Harmonized putter features a square heel and tow design, offering you excellent accuracy in your putts and a balanced feel in your hands.
- Square Heel/Toe Putter
- Eye catching vertical seam grip is designed with a slightly larger diameter to improve feel
- All new cosmetic for 2013 and the Harmonized Putters provide responsive feel and precise accuracy on and around the green
- All-weather, oversize three piece paddle grip for great feel and control
- Multiple density micro injections on the club face. It also features a stainless-steel shaft
The putter features multiple density areas in its micro-injection clubface insert. The top of the clubhead features three alignment posts for precision putting. This model comes with a revolutionary soft grip, featuring innovative vertical seems for more comfort in your hands.
Overall, the Wilson Harmonized putter offers you a great range and is a good addition to the beginner golf bag. The face insert also provides the putter with micro-injection polymer improving the feedback and feel of the club when contacting the ball. The putter comes with a headcover.
What We Liked
- Micro-injection polymer face-insert.
- Vertical seam grip for comfort.
- Easy-alignment design.
If you want a forgiving putter that makes you feel like a pro, the S7K is a top choice for your golf bag. This model has an exceptionally lightweight, balanced feel in the hands for draining those long putts. This club features design and construction with premium materials, including a graphite shaft and stainless steel for a lightweight design.
Line up your shot using the three alignment lines on the top of the clubhead. The top of the clubhead features a “strike dot,” giving you better accuracy and more pars and birdies on your scorecard. According to reviews, this putter could shave up to five strokes off of your short game during the round.
- NEVER MISS ANOTHER EASY PUTT; Stop missing putts from 10 feet and in; Drain more putts for birdie and par; Lag it close from long distance and hole pressure putts like a seasoned pro
- TRUST YOUR LINE EVERY TIME; No guesswork lining up your shots; Check your aim from behind the ball and down the line and watch your ball roll on line every time; The S7K fixes your aim so all you have to think about speed; Trust your line and make a confident stroke
- NO PRACTICE, INSTANT HELP; The S7K putter is so easy to use - just line it up, step back, adjust the aim and putt; Save 5 strokes or more the very first time you use it; The S7K eliminates 3-putts and helps you shoot lower scores fast
- EXCEPTIONAL FEEL, BALANCE & ROLL: The S7K’s ultra-light grip and shaft transfer tons of feedback to your hands, enhancing your speed and distance control; You will enjoy a buttery feel and sweet sound at impact, plus the best sound of all, the sound of the ball dropping in the cup; The S7K practically swings itself and rolls pure; Never miss another easy putt inside 10 feet
- LEGAL FOR TOURNAMENT PLAY & 1-YEAR MANUFACTURER WARRANTY; High-quality construction backed by unbeatable one-year manufacturer warranty against defects
The S7K comes with a self-standing design that allows you to step back from the putter and check your alignment to improve accuracy. It has a low balance point promoting better acceleration thorough the shot, and you’ll find it easy to square the clubface for a clean putt and better MOI on contacting the ball.
You get no distance lag in the shot, and the club provides excellent roll when contacting the ball. The S7K is also approved for tournament play. This model is a great choice for beginners. It’s pricey but worth the investment in your game.
What We Liked
- Lightweight graphite shaft.
- Self-standing design.
- Excellent alignment.
- Forgiving on miss-hits.
Odyssey redesign its “White Hot OG” putter, bringing changes to what is arguably the most-played and most-decorated putter of all time. This redesign features milling with premium materials for the clubhead, giving you a high-quality putter that’s lightweight and easy to use.
The White Hot OG putter comes with two options for your shaft, with premium stepless stainless steel or a tour-approved “Stroke Lab” shaft which helps to keep your putting stroke consistent. The White Hot OG comes with the “DFX pistol grip” for comfort and control.
- The original White Hot formulation, feel, sound and performance are all back in one exceptional two-part urethane insert; Tour players and golfers alike have been asking us to re-introduce it for years, and weve listened
- Our engineers have combined a rich silver PVD finish with fine milling on the surfaces; These ultra-premium offerings are unlike anything youve ever seen from a White Hot
- Available in a premium stepped steel shaft or our Tour proven, multi-material Stroke Lab shaft in our stunning red colorway; Both shaft options are precisely fitted with our standard pistol grip for a classic look and feel
- Package Dimensions: 44.25 inch L x 4.5 inch W x 3.75 inch H
This model retains the same proven two-part urethane insert in the face that made the putter famous. This putter gets the ball rolling at contact, allowing for better range in your putts. The head itself features a milled, clean design with an impressive silver PVD finish. The top of the clubhead comes with three alignment lines and three strike dots on the top for easy alignment of your shot.
While the pros love this putter, beginners will find it useful as well. It’s very forgiving, even with miss-hits. You get a pro-level putter that’s suitable for the beginners golf bag.
What We Liked
- Pro-level design suitable for beginners.
- Lightweight design.
- Precision milling and silver PVD finish.
- Tour-proven two-part urethane insert.
- Clubhead cover included.
The “Fatty” from Black Widow Golf is another great choice for the beginner bag. This model features a high-end square back design featuring a milled aluminum insert providing you with excellent feedback and feel when making your shot.
The Fatty putter will improve your game from the first stroke. You get a high MOI from the soft face giving you the perfect putt when under pressure. The top of the clubhead features three pronounced red alignment lines to help you improve your shot accuracy.
- Premium Quality 100% Milled Golf Putter Made With Aerospace Grade Stainless Steel And Aluminum Insert To Provide Exceptional Touch!
- Keep Every Putter Stroke Pure With Our Heavy 365G Head. The Putter Head Is Specially Designed And Weighted To Help You Play Your Best Golf!
- No More 3-Putts! With The Aerospace Grade Stainless Steel, Aluminum Insert, And The Specially Designed Head, The Fatty Is The Best Golf Putter Today!
- Stop Overpaying For "Brand Name" Putters. Black Widow Golf Offers The Best Right Handed Putters Money Can Buy At A Fraction Of The Price!
- Perfectly Legal For All Tournament Play And Free Warranty And Returns. We Back Our Premium Quality With The Best Guarantees!
You get aerospace aluminum material milled to perfection, with the clubhead weighing 365-grams for a balanced feel in your hands when taking your putt. The 3.5-degree loft on the clubface adds to the accuracy, allowing you to drain those long puts for more pars and birdies on your scorecard. The shaft features design and construction with stainless steel for durability.
The clubhead has a slightly rounded bottom to avoid catching on the green, and the goose-neck design of the head and shaft give you complete control over the putter. The look of this club catches the eye, with its black shaft, grip, and clubhead offsetting the red accents in the insert. The Black Widow Fatty comes with a premium leather headcover to protect the putter.
What We Liked
- Rounded clubhead for less catching on the green.
- Bright red alignment lines contrast the black clubhead.
- Aerospace-grade aluminum insert.
- Premium clubhead cover.
TaylorMade is one of the premium brands in golfing equipment. This Spider Tour Black Putter #3 is the company’s best beginner model, giving you access to high-quality equipment for your golf bag. This putter features design and construction with a lightweight 6061 aluminum core and 304 stainless steel frame. The result is improved MOI on your putts to get the ball rolling as soon as the putter makes contact.
The Spider Tour comes with the SuperStroke GTR 1.0 grip for added comfort and a chrome-finished stainless steel shaft that sparkles in the sunlight when you pull it from the bag. This model is ideal for beginners due to the vibration-damping PU foam embedded between the frame and body, providing an enhanced feel and sound to your shots.
- Modern mallet putters designed with multi-materials for high MOI, stability and better roll
- Lightweight 6061 aluminum core paired with heavy 304 Stainless Steel frame for high MOI to designed to ensure that the face stays square to the path
- Based on robot testing of Pure Roll groove vs. solid face, Pure Roll insert increases topspin and improves forward roll for distance control
- Vibration damping PU foam embedded between the body and frame for enhanced sound and feel
- SuperStroke GTR 1.0 Grip. Chrome Finish Steel Shaft.
The “Pure Roll” insert in this model offers you outstanding MOI and total control over the shot. Line your putt up with the cup using the white alignment line on the top of the clubhead. You get options for left or right-handed club setups and your choice of 34” or 35” shaft length.
What We Liked
- Pure Roll insert for better MOI.
- SuperStroke GTR 1.0 grip.
- 6061 aluminum core with 304 stainless steel frame.
- Clubhead cover included.
Wilson make a second appearance in our review with its “Infinite Windy City” putter. This model features a double-milled face offering you consistency to the roll and distance in your putts. You get excellent distance control, and a high MOI when contacting the ball.
The Infinite comes with counterbalanced technology moving the balance point in the putter closer to your hands for a lightweight feel and excellent balance. The result is a smooth stroke and more control over your putts while maintain a fantastic level of consistency to your short game.
- DOUBLE MILLED FACE: Promotes consistent impact, roll and distance control
- COUNTERBALANCED TECHNOLOGY: Moves the balance point closer to the hands for a smoother, more controlled putting stroke
- DARK ANTI-GLARE FINISH: New ultra dark PVD finish to reduce glare and accentuate sight-lines
- NEW GRIP: Perforated pattern for improved feel. Oversized design construction provides a stable feel and limits rotation during stroke
- Heavy grip construction, 104 grams, to create counter-balanced putter feel
We love the new dark, anti-glare finish to the clubhead, with the PVD finish reducing glare from the clubhead. The top of the clubhead features three alignment posts to improve your alignment with the ball and putting accuracy.
The “Windy City” comes with your choice of left or right-handed setup, with options for 34” and 35” shafts. You get design and construction with alloy steel for the shaft and more feedback to your hands for better response to your putts. There’s an updated grip featuring a perforated pattern and the oversized grip reduces twisting in your stroke.
What We Liked
- Affordable quality.
- Double-milled face for precision shots.
- Oversized grip to reduce twisting.
- Counterbalanced shaft technology.
If you’re looking for the most affordable putter with the best performance, we recommend the Pinemeadow PGX MG. This putter comes with a 380-gram head weight and a comfortable feel in your hands. The balance is excellent, giving the putter a lightweight feel in your hands.
The clubhead features a matte black color that won’t reflect light when pulling it from the bag. The three white alignment posts stand out against the dark background for easy alignment of your putts. The Pinemeadow Spider Grip is comfortable, giving you plenty of control over the putt and less twisting in your stroke.
- CLEAN FINISH: Matte Black finish looks sharp when putting
- HEADCOVER: Putter comes with a matching PGX black headcover
- GRIP: Equipped with a Pinemeadow Spider Grip which feels soft and is easy on the hands
- Included components: putter, headcover
The “Tour-weighted” head means you get better MOI from your stroke, making it ideal for faster greens. You get a smooth, forward-spinning shot when contacting the ball, reducing the skid for an accurate shot. PGX includes a headcover for your putter with your purchase.
What We Liked
- Very affordable.
- Matter black clubhead with white alignment posts.
- Clubhead cover included.
Other Best Selling Options
- The PGX putter features a precise white finish which stands out when the putter is in the address position on the green.
- This contrast of the white color against the green grass really helps maintain focus on the alignment lines that help ensure that your putter is on target at start.
- At 380g the additional 40g weight of the mallet putter is "tour-weighted", suited best for the faster greens that are more and more common around the world.
- Includes custom PGX headcover
- Putter length 34"
- Notched strike surface design. The groove design increases the interaction between the striking surface and the ball, and stabilizes the ball.
- Shaft weight: 113g
- Head weight: 350
- Club length: 34''
- High fault tolerance
- As an unquestioned industry standard for premium putters, 303 stainless steel was destined for milling. The soft yet durable metal delivers superior feel and artisan aesthetics.
- Flowing lines with natural curvatures offer an exceptional look worthy of admiration at address and in your hand. If perfection were possible, it would be machine milled.
- The soft, Surlyn insert previously used in our Spider X makes its way into the this TP Collection of blades and technical mallets. PureRoll insert features grooves at a downward 45° angle designed to optimize roll characteristics.
- TP sole weights will be unique to each stock length to hit a specific swing weight. 2.5g, 5g, 7.5g, 10g, 15g and 20g weights are available for sale separately.
Beginners Putter Buyers Guide
Golf, the unforgiving game, how we love to hate it. There’s nothing for satisfying than draining a 20-foot putt from the edge of the green, and there’s nothing more frustrating than chasing your ball around the cup with failed attempts at sinking it.
You need the right putter to master your short game. With a good putter, you have a piece of equipment that adds consistency to your short game, improving your score. However, there are so many different models and brands that it’s challenging to settle on the right putter for your game.
You don’t want to blow hundreds of dollars on a putter to find out that it suits professional equipment and hindering your progress as a beginner. So, what do you need to know about choosing the right putter for your golf bag?
This buyer’s guide unpacks everything you need to know about choosing the best golf putter for beginners.
There are three general putter designs available for golf. The design of the putter affects its handling and performance and your scorecard. So, understanding the difference between putter types is the first place to start when ordering one for your bag. Let’s look at each of the tree design options in detail.
The Anser Putter
The Anser is the classic putter design featuring a square club head. The putter offers you a similar offset that you get with your irons, allowing for an easy setup and a smooth stroke, with a good ball roll at MOI.
This putter is the best option for beginners as it gives them the opportunity to understand the mechanics of putting. However, it’s losing ground to mallet putters that offer better control of the shot in the hands of a beginner. Speak to any golf instructor, and they’ll recommend you avoid an Anser putter design for your golf bag.
The putters are now the choice of the pros because they offer better feedback and feel during the putt. However, as a beginner, you’ll need to have more stability in your shot and better alignment than what’s on offer with the Anser design.
The Mallet Putter
While the Anser was the most popular putter for beginners until the introduction of the mallet-head design. These modern putters feature an extension to the rear of the clubhead, allowing for better alignment. The top of the clubhead features alignment posts or striker dots, allowing for perfect positioning and alignment.
The mallet took the title of the best putter for beginners from the answer. Beginners find that this design is far more forgiving, and you get better distance with it, even on miss-hits. The extra weight behind the putters clubhead increases the MOI in the putt.
Blending the mallet head design with an offset shaft is the best option for beginner golfers to master their short game.
The NASA Space Craft Putter
This design takes the best elements of the answer and the mallet, blending them in a putter that brings you the best of both worlds.
Typically, putters featuring this design come with a steep price tag. However, if you think you’re going to take the game seriously, it’s worth investing in this equipment.
What Do I Look for When Choosing a Putter?
So, what are the features of the best golf putters for beginners? Here’s everything you need to look for in a prospective putter for your golf bag.
Chasing your putt around the green is a frustrating and embarrassing experience. We all have those days when nothing seems to go right around the green, but you have a problem if it’s happening at every hole.
Anser putters are a terrible choice for beginners. The slimline profile of the clubhead, combined with the additional feedback and lack of alignment, makes for poor putting performance. However, NASA and mallet putters offer you more volume in the clubhead for a forgiving putt, even on mis-hits.
With the right putter setup, you’ll find that you drop your shots taken around the green, improving your scorecard total. If you have a forgiving putter, it could shave up to 5-strokes off your course performance, and that’s worth talking about, right?
There’s nothing more frustrating than a putter that creates skidding and bouncing in your shot. You need a smooth roll from your putt from the moment of inertia. Sure, the green may have imperfections that cause a poor putt.
However, with the right equipment, you have a better putt and more chance of the ball finding the cup than skidding off to the side or bouncing over the hole. All the models in our review offer you exceptional roll, with no bounce or skid interfering with your shot.
You might think that styling doesn’t matter much when choosing a putter. After all, if it works, it’s good enough, right? The reality is that the styling of the putter improves your confidence in the club, improving your game.
However, the styling of the club is much more than just how it looks. The styling of the club attributes to how it looks when setting up behind the ball and aligning your putt. Most models come with alignment lines or posts on the top of the clubhead.
Sound and Feel
The acoustics and feel of the shot matter in golf. Ask any seasoned player, and they’ll tell you they know if they made a good putt just from the sound of the clubhead contacting the ball. The insert determines the acoustics of the putt and the distance of the roll.
The insert and clubhead also play a significant role in the club’s feel in your hands. Pro golfers rely on feedback through the shaft to let them know if they made a good putt or pulled it wide. However, beginners might not enjoy this feedback on their equipment.
The feedback in the shaft could cause twisting or reduced impact at contact with the ball. We recommend going with aluminum or urethane inserts when selecting a golf club. These inserts provide minimal feedback and the best acoustics for your putts.
The weight of the clubhead matters. A light head results in a weak shot, and that’s why answer putters are not the best choice for beginners. The thin club head doesn’t have the mass to produce optimal energy transfer from your stroke to the putter, resulting in poor putting performance.
However, larger mallet or NASA clubheads give you more weight in the stroke, resulting in better distance and control of your putt. A heavier clubhead means more roll from the ball, which you need to focus on as a beginner.
Face Design and Loft
The design of the clubface also plays a significant role in its performance. The clubface is the only part of the putter that contacts the ball. Therefore, the clubhead weight and type of insert materials play a significant role in your putting performance.
The face design and loft determine how the ball rolls and the spin you can put on the ball with your stroke. Typically, you’re looking for a higher-lofted club that places a topspin on the ball. As a result, you get a good roll but more control from your putt.
The loft describes the angle of the clubface when you hold the putter in the resting position at presentation. The club’s loft also helps determine the spin on the ball. The higher the loft, the more spin you place on the ball during your stroke. Spin is useful for preventing the ball from rolling past the target.
Price and Value
Finally, we have the price and value of the deal. It’s no good playing hundreds of dollars for a putter that doesn’t do what you expect on the green. Price isn’t always indicative of the performance of the putter. You have plenty of affordable options offering you an excellent beginner experience at an affordable price.
When choosing the right putter, you need to find the balance of price and performance with the club. We have models in our review for every golfing budget. Choose a putter that matches your playing style and your budget.
Golf Putter for Beginners FAQ
Q: What length is the right choice for a beginner putter?
A: Choosing the right shaft length for your putter depends on your height, arm length, and other factors. Most putters come in sizes ranging from 33” to 41”, with 34” being the most popular shaft length. When choosing the right club length, you’ll need to ensure that the shaft is in-line with your forearms.
Q: What is “club loft,” and how does it affect putting?
A: Most putters come with lofts ranging between 1 to 4-degrees. The loft is the clubface angle at presentation, and it determines the amount of spin you put on the ball with your stroke. As a rule of thumb, higher lofts are for slower greens, while lower lofts are better for putts on fast greens.
Q: How do I set up for the perfect putt?
A: It’s important to focus on squaring your feet to the putter when lining up the shot. Your putter should feature alignment posts or strike dots on the top of the clubhead for lining up the ball. Most models come with three alignment posts, but it differs between brands. When lining up the sot with the putter, make sure you position the clubhead alignment posts to the center of the ball.
Q: Where can I buy the best golf putter for beginners?
A: We recommend you buy your putter from Amazon, the world’s leading online retailer. You’ll struggle to find a pro shop offering you more selection than you get at Amazon. Amazon has the best prices in the industry and the widest product range available. You get fast, free shipping to your door and buyer protection on your order.
Golf Putter for Beginners – The Verdict
After reading through our review of the best golf putters for beginners, you’re probably scratching your head on which model is the right choice for your short game. We understand that picking out one putter from so many good options is challenging.
If you’re on the fence with your decision, why not go with one of our top picks? We have a putter to suit any playing style or budget.