As you can probably guess from the name, golf travel bags are designed to safely transport golf clubs, and as you can imagine (like every other golf-related product), there are countless golf travel bags to choose from. While having a lot of options to choose from is a great thing, you want to make sure that you pick the best golf travel bag, and too many options can also make the process a bit cumbersome.
We hear ya, and that’s why we’ve taken the liberty of doing the legwork for you! Below, we’ve compiled a list of our top picks; we’ve included a handy buyer’s guide and answers to some of the most frequently asked questions about golf travel bags, too.
Our Top Picks
- 1 Our Top Picks
- 2 Golf Travel Bags Reviews
- 3 The Best Overall Golf Travel Bag– Samsonite Golf Deluxe 3 Piece Travel Set
- 4 The Best Premium Golf Travel Bag- Samsonite Hard Sided Golf Travel Case
- 5 The Best Budget Golf Travel Bag- CaddyDaddy Constrictor 2 Padded Golf Travel Bag Cover
- 6 GoHimal Golf Travel Bag with Anti-Impact Support
- 7 Bag Boy Golf 2018 T-10 Hard Top Travel Cover
- 8 Other Best Selling Options
- 9 Golf Travel Bags Buyer’s Guide
- 10 Golf Travel Bag FAQs
- 11 Conclusion
- The Best Overall Golf Travel Bag- Samsonite Golf Deluxe 3 Piece Travel Set
- The Best Premium Golf Travel Bag- Samsonite Hard Side Golf Travel Bag
- The Best Budget Golf Travel Bag- CaddyDaddy Constrictor 2 Padded Golf Travel Bag
Golf Travel Bags Reviews
The Best Overall Golf Travel Bag– Samsonite Golf Deluxe 3 Piece Travel Set
Topping on our list of the best golf travel bag – and our pick for the best overall golf travel bag – is the Samsonite Golf Deluxe 3 Piece Travel Set. Samsonite is one of the most trusted names in luggage, as they’re highly regarded for manufacturing most durable, high-end suitcases, brief cases, and other travel and storage items, and the Golf Deluxe 3 Piece Travel Set certainly stands up to their reputation.
This set consists of three items – a wheeling travel cover, a duffel bag, and a shoe bag – all of which are constructed of 600 denier polyester. This heavy-duty material will shield your golf bag and clubs from the wear and tear of travel. The travel cover is outfitted with sealed ball bearing inline skate wheels, which allow the case to be pushed or pulled, make for stress-free transport.
- This heavy-duty travel golf set consists of a wheeling travel cover, duffel bag and shoe bag
- The lightweight and durable 600D (denier) polyester shields your golf bag and clubs from the wear and tear of air travel
- Features a padded quilted interior with extra foam cushioning on top to protect club heads
- Sealed ball bearing in-line skate wheels allows for the case to be pushed or pulled
- Mesh ventilation windows on the shoe bag help prevent moisture buildup, and accommodates 2 pairs of shoes, up to size 13
The cover measures 54 inches by 14 inches by 17 inches, and it can easily accommodate bags that measure 10.5 inches and 48 inch clubs. The soft-sided travel case features a padded quilted interior with extra foam cushioning on the top, which does a great job of protecting the heads of your golf clubs.
A three layer protective bottom with runners provides added protection, and three ergonomic pull and carry handles, as well as a three-side zipper opening, further add to the ease of use. The shoe bag, which measures 15 inches long by 5 inch inches deep, can accommodate two pairs of shoes up to size 13, and features a mesh ventilation window to prevent moisture buildup, which will not only protect your golf shoes, but will also prevent any bacteria they may harbor from growing, decreasing the risk of things like athlete’s foot (not to mention smelly odors), and it opens and closes with a heavy-duty self-healing nylon coil zipper.
Use the duffle bag, which measures 20 inches by 13 inches by 11 inches, complete with an adjustable and detachable shoulder strap, is great for stowing extra socks, collared shirts, and anything else you might want to keep within easy reach.
In typical Samsonite fashion, this set is backed by a 5 year manufacturer warranty, too. With so many outstanding features, it’s easy to see why we selected the Samsonite Golf Deluxe 3 Piece Travel Set as our pick for the best overall travel golf bag.
What We Liked
- Comes with three separate travel bags: a wheeling traveling cover, a duffel bag, and a shoe bag
- All travel cases are constructed of 600 denier polyester, which will shield your clubs and other belongings from the travel of wear and tear
- A padded quilted interior with additional foam cushioning at the top protects golf club heads
- Sealed ball bearing inline skate wheels allows you to push or pull the travel case
- Mesh windows on the shoe bag provide ventilation
- Shoe bag can hold two pairs of shoes
- Three ergonomic pull and pull carry handles
- Three-sided zipper opening
- Triple reinforced padding and protection along the bottom of the club bag
- Backed by a 5 year manufacturer warranty
- Available in six colors
The Best Premium Golf Travel Bag- Samsonite Hard Sided Golf Travel Case
Because Samsonite is one of the most trusted names in the suitcase and travel gear industry, it comes as no surprise that our pick for the best premium golf travel case is also made by the manufacturer. Featuring a acrylonitrile butadiene styrene (ABS) shell, this case will provide your golf bag and your golf clubs with serious protection from the riggers of traveling.
While the ABS material is exceptionally durable, it’s also super-lightweight, so it isn’t heavy and clunky, making it easy to transport. The case measures 54 inches long by 12 inches high and 16 inches wide, and offers plenty of room for 10.5 inch top golf bags with longer 48 inch clubs.
- The lightweight and durable solid ABS Shell shields your golf bag and clubs from the wear and tear of air travel
- Features a padded quilted interior with extra foam cushioning on top to protect club heads
- 4 multi-directional spinner wheels and 2 in-line skate wheels allows the case to be pushed or pulled
- Internal compression straps secure the golf bag inside the case
- Accommodates larger 10.5" top golf bags with longer, 48" clubs
A padded quilted interior, complete with additional foam cushioning at the top, will protect the heads of your clubs. Internal compression straps will secure your golf bag in place, preventing it from shifting while you’re traveling. Equipped with four multi-directional spinner wheels and two inline skate wheels, you will have no trouble getting around with this case, as you can either push or pull it.
Two padded handles – one situated at the top of the case and one situated along the side – further add to the ease of use and transport. The two-way zipper closure will keep your golf clubs and bag secured within the case, while also allowing for easy access to the interior.
A full-length interior lining provides enhanced durability and protection, while also enhancing the aesthetic appeal of the case. The case is backed by a 5 year manufacturer warranty and a 100 percent customer satisfaction guarantee, so you can buy with peace of mind. The Samsonite Hard Side Golf Travel Bag is available in three color options, too.
What We Liked
- Exterior hard-sided shell is constructed of extremely durable, yet very lightweight ABS material for unbeatable protection
- Features a padded quilted interior with additional foam cushioning on the top to protect your golf club heads
- Four multi-directional spinner wheels and two inline skate wheels allow the case to be pushed or pulled for easy transport
- Internal compression straps will secure your golf bag inside the case
- Can hold 10.5 inch top golf bags with longer 48 inch clubs
- Interlocking pull zippers for secure closure
- Full-length interior liner provides enhanced protection and aesthetic appeal
- Backed by a 5 year manufacturer warranty and a 100 percent customer satisfaction guarantee
- Available in six different colors
The Best Budget Golf Travel Bag- CaddyDaddy Constrictor 2 Padded Golf Travel Bag Cover
If you’re looking for a durable golf travel bag that you can rely on to protect your golf clubs, yet won’t break the bank, the CaddyDaddy Constrictor 2 Padded Golf Travel Bag Cover is a great choice. It’s specifically designed to protect your golf clubs and any other equipment that you want to take along with you on the road, allowing for easy air, auto, train, or any other mode of transportation travel.
This golf travel bag cover is constructed of 1800 denier fabric, so it’s three times the thickness of the 600 denier polyester that our pick for the best overall golf travel bag is constructed of, and heavy-duty padding at the top of the cover will provide the heads of your golf clubs with additional protection.
- WARRANTY AND SERVICE: CaddyDaddy has been designing and selling high quality golf products from CHANDLER, AZ for over 20 years. We stand behind every product and include a 1 YEAR FULL REPLACEMENT WARRANTY on all travel bag purchases (2 years on the First Class bag). We even cover damage caused by airline mishandling. If you need warranty assistance, please visit our website and reach out to our US BASED customer service team. We respond within 48 hours and typically same business day.
- HIGH-QUALITY MATERIAL, HEAVY PADDING ON TOP: The golf travel cover bag features 1800D fabric construction (3x the thickness of 600D fabric). Cinch straps are provided externally and internally to keep the bags from moving during travel and transportation.
- PROTECT YOUR INVESTMENT: The bag also has riveted handles - nylon padding and heavy duty rubber handles for easy carry and transport. It also comes with lockable zippers and large, oversized pockets to store additional golf gear and equipment like tees, shirts, shoes, balls, etc.
- EQUIPPED WITH INLINE SKATE WHEELS: Whether you are a pro on tour or are big on golf travel, this padded golf cover bag is your perfect travel companion. It also comes with 2 oversized pockets to store additional golf accessories like shoes, tees, balls, and other items.
- GOLF BAG DESIGNED FOR TRAVELING: CaddyDaddy’s Constrictor Golf Bag Cover is designed specifically for protecting your golf clubs and equipment while traveling - air or auto. It offers excellent value for money and is a must-have travel bag for all golfers.
External and internal cinch straps will keep the bag intact and firm while you are traveling, and with riveted – nylon padded and rubber – handles, transporting this case is super-easy and comfortable, too. Lockable zippers further secure your clubs and allow for easy access to the interior of the case.
Large, oversized pockets along the sides of the case are great for storing any extra gear that you might want to take along with you and have close at hand, such as balls, tees, sunscreen, etc. With oversized inline skate wheels on the bottom of the case, toting your clubs will be a breeze.
The case measures 51 inches by 13 inches by 15 inches, so it offers plenty of interior room to accommodate your clubs, and it weighs just under 9 pounds. The bag is available in two colors: black and gray, and black and navy, and it’s backed by a 1 year full replacement warranty. As our pick for the best budget golf travel bag, it’s also affordably priced.
What We Liked
- Constructed of 1800 denier material for super heavy-duty protection
- Heavy padding at the top of the case protects the heads of your clubs
- Internal and external cinch straps will hold your golf bag and clubs firmly in place
- Riveted padded nylon and rubber handles allow for easy transport
- Lockable zippers for further security and easy access
- Oversized pockets provide storage for additional gear and equipment
- Inline skate wheels make for easy transport
- Backed by a 1 year full replacement warranty
- Affordably priced
- Available in 2 color options
GoHimal Golf Travel Bag with Anti-Impact Support
Next up on our list of the best golf travel bags is the Anti-Impact Support bag from GoHimal. It’s constructed of high-performance 900 denier heavy-duty polyester oxford material, which is highly resistant to the wear and tear of travel – and is resistant to water, too – so you can have confidence knowing that your golf clubs will be well protected while you’re on the road (in the air, or on the rails).
Advanced inline rolling skate wheels roll smoothly and make it easy to tote your clubs along with you, wherever you may be going. The bag measures 48 inches by 13 inches by 15.5 inches, and can easily accommodate standard sized golf stand bags, leaving enough room left over to accommodate your accessories and personal items, too.
- High performance material:Made of premium 900D heavy duty polyester oxford wear resistance and waterproof material,tough enough to protect your golf clubs during travel.
- Smooth rolling wheel:Advanced rolling skate wheel allows you to easily move clubs between the course and the airport, and in-line skating wheels ensure a long-term unimpeded carrying experience.
- Large storage:Universal size 48 x 13 x 15.5 inches fits all the golf stand bag. There is plenty of room for your other golf accessories and personal items.
- Adjustable anti-Impact support:The golf travel bag is equipped with adjustable anti-Impact support made of premium aluminum and ABS plastic materials, which can easily stand up anytime, anywhere.
- After-sales:GoHimal provides a true satisfaction guarantee and don’t hesitate to contact us if there is any problem.
Equipped with adjustable anti-impact support that’s constructed of aluminum and ABS plastic materials, you can have confidence knowing that it will really be able to withstand all types of wear and tear, and that it will serve you well for a long, long time.
A premium-quality dual zipper is easy to operate and a solid handle and Velcro carrying handle makes for comfortable and easy transport.
GoHimal is committed to ensuring the satisfaction of their customers, and this golf travel bag is backed with a 100 percent satisfaction guarantee; if for any reason you are unhappy with the bag or if anything goes wrong, just give them a call and they’ll set things right.
What We Liked
- Constructed of premium-grade 900 denier heavy-duty polyester oxford
- Wear-resistant and waterproof
- Advanced inline rolling skate wheels roll smoothly and make for easy transport on all types of surfaces
- Offers ample storage space and can accommodate all types of golf stand bags
- Additional storage pockets provide plenty of space to stow accessories and personal gear
- Features adjustable anti-impact support that’s made of premium-grade aluminum and ABS plastic
- Explosion proof Velcro
- External cinch straps for additional security
- Comfort-grip carrying handle
- Backed by a 100 percent satisfaction guarantee
- Affordably priced
Bag Boy Golf 2018 T-10 Hard Top Travel Cover
The Bag Boy Golf 2018 T-10 Hard Top Travel Cover is the latest generation T-10 in hard top golf travel covers. It’s constructed of 600 denier heavy-duty polyester that can stand up to all types of wear and tear and features a crust-resistant ABS top that provides maximum protection for your club heads.
Fitted with oversized premium inline skate wheels, you’ll have no trouble toting your golf bag and clubs along with you, wherever you go. Internal high-density foam padding provides enhanced protection for your gear while you’re traveling, and handle is integrated into the streamlined top for easy, comfortable control and transport.
- 1. Crush resistant ABS top for maximum club protection
- 2. All-weather 600D polyester fabric body stores inside hard top for compact storage
- 3. New lockable, full wrap-around main zipper simplifies access and packing
- 4. Deluxe in-line skate wheels
- 5. New main handle integrated into ABS top
Two external oversized pockets provide ample space for any personal items and gear that you might want to have on-hand, such as golf balls, tees, a golf range finder, sunscreen, sunglasses, and more. A full wrap-around zipper makes packing and accessing your golf bag and clubs a breeze, and because the zipper is lockable – and since it’s fitted with an anti-burst strap – you can have peace of mind knowing that your prized possessions will be safe and secure.
The golf travel cover case measures 19 inches by 14 inches by 14 inches, so there’s plenty of space to accommodate your gear, and there are three different color options to choose from.
What We Liked
- Constructed of 600 denier wear- and moisture-resistant polyester
- Crush-resistant ABS top provides maximum protection for your club heads
- Large deluxe inline skate wheels roll smoothly on all kinds of surfaces
- Two external oversized pockets provide additional storage for personal items and gear
- Lockable, full wrap-around zipper makes for easy packing and accessing
- Heavy-duty anti-burst strap
- Stand guard technology features internal high-density foam padding
- Integrated padded handle for easy transport
- Available in three color options
Outdoor Master Padded Golf Club Travel Bag with Wheels
With the Outdoor Master Padded Golf Club Travel Bag with Wheels offers an aesthetically pleasing look, but it’s more than just attractive; it’s also durable, reliable, easy to use, and affordably priced.
It features a unique OTS system, which covers the entire golf travel case with a double thick cushioned layer, and is constructed of 900 denier oxford material, this golf travel cover case is wear-resistant and waterproof, so you can have confidence knowing that it will be well-protected from the wear and tear of travel.
- Extra Protection - Unique OTS system covers the entire golf travel case with 2x thickened cushion layer and 900D oxford wear resistance and waterproof material, extra proteion of golf club brassie during transportation.
- Smooth Rolling & Tough Wheel - Featured with optimized in-line skate wheel and premium rubber base securing long-lasting and unobstructed carrying experience.
- However You Prefer to Carry it - The golf club travel bag was design to meet different conditions by adding shoulder strap, multiple handles and separated bag for golf shoes. Easy to carry the bag at shuttle, bus station.
- Easy to Fill - Ideal 54" (138 CM) length and rommy design for full set golf clubs, cart bag , extra secure and stable with two fixing straps.
- Foldable Design with Convenient Open - Bullet Shape and foldable for easy storage and carry and U-shape wide open zipper system for easy open & Close
Outfitted with optimized inline skate wheels and a premium rubber base, which ensures an easy, reliable, and long-lasting portability, you’ll be able to use this case for years to come. An adjustable shoulder strap and multiple handles let you choose how you carry it, so you can enjoy comfortable transport.
It comes complete with a separate bag for golf shoe storage, too. The bag is 54 inches long and offers plenty of space to carry a full set of golf clubs and a cart bag, and dual external zipper-closed pockets provide plenty of space for incidentals.
Two external cinch straps further secure your clubs and bag, and the bullet shape and foldable design makes for easy storage when it’s not in use. Rounding out the key features is a smartly designed U-shaped zipper that opens widely and allows for easy packing and access. It’s available in four different color options, too!
What We Liked
- Unique OTS system
- Made of 900 denier oxford wear-resistant and waterproof polyester material
- 2x thickened cushioned layer for added protection
- Optimized inline skate wheels with premium rubber base ensures easy transport and will last a long time
- Multiple handles and an adjustable shoulder strap
- Comes with a separate bag for golf shoes
- Offers plenty of space for a full set of golf clubs, a cart bag, and extra gear and personal items
- Bullet shape and foldable design allows for easy storage
- U-shaped zipper opens widely for easy packing and access
- Available in four colors
- Affordably priced
LangChao Golf Travel Bag with Wheels
Rounding out our list of the best golf travel bags is this option from LangChao. It’s constructed of 600 denier heavy-duty oxford polyester material, which can withstand the most rigorous wear and tear, as well as moisture. While the material is super durable, it’s also flexible, highly breathable, and super lightweight.
The stress points are reinforced, so you can have peace of mind knowing that your gear will be safe and secure while you’re transporting it where you go. This smartly designed golf travel bag is also outfitted with back and bottom support that’s made of strong PVC board that will protect the bag from being deformed by external forces, which provides even more durability and peace of mind.
- Golf Travel Bag- Unlike regular cheap golf bags for airline, LONGCHAO golf bag have padded cotton on the top and sides, which can protect your club in any environment
- Large Golf Bag with Wheels- Smooth-Rolling wheel, shock absorption and mute, easy to push and pull, unimpeded. Without the heavy baggage pressure, enjoy golf sport as much as you can
- Large Capacity Golf Travel Case- 51''*15.5''*12.8''Large capacity bag for golf, it can hold a full set of clubs, meaning you have lots of places to put all your important golf accessories
- Strong Support Design- Support plate of the back, plus a fixed strap inside the bag and sponge lining inside at the top, ensures that the contents of the golf bag are stable and complete
- Carry in hand or shoulder, Comfortable- Center handle and side straps with spongy filling design are convenient for golf carry bags to move more easily.There is a large zipper pocket on the back of the lid, which can store golf balls, short sleeves, gloves, and other accessories
The stable, shock-absorbing wheels are whisper quiet and allow you to push or pull the bag without interruption. With top-quality pulleys, you won’t have to worry about the bag rolling over or getting stuck. The golf storage bag is a universal size, measuring 13 inches by 16 inches by 51 inches and can fit golf bags and golf clubs of all shapes and size.
The bag is equipped with a fixed and adjustable strap on the interior to ensure that the your golf bag and clubs remain in a fixed position in the bag, preventing friction and preventing them from becoming damaged. A Velcro carrying handle and a cotton shoulder strap makes it easy to tote this bag with you on your travels.
An oversized zipper pocket on the back of the lid can be used to store golf balls, tees, gloves, collared shirts, and any other accessories or gear that you’d like to keep close at hand. The LongChao Golf Travel Bag with Wheels is available in four different colors, too.
What We Liked
- Constructed of premium-grade 600 denier, heavy-duty polyester oxford
- Reinforced stress points ensure long-lasting durability
- Strong PVC boards affixed to the back and bottom provide firm support and protect the bag from being deformed by external forces
- Smooth, shock-absorbing wheels can be pushed or pulled without being impeded
- Top-quality pulleys won’t roll-over or get stuck
- Universal size can accommodate all types of golf clubs and standing golf bags
- Top and sides features cotton, which provides additional protection
- Fixed and adjustable internal straps ensure your gear remains stationary while traveling
- Velcro carrying handle, soft-sided carrying handles, and cotton shoulder strap allows for convenient transport
- Available in four different colors
Other Best Selling Options
- Made of premium 600D heavy duty polyester oxford, tough enough to protect your golf clubs during travel.
- Universal size 15 x 13 x 50 inches fits all the needs of everyday life. Enough space to hold your clubs, keys, shoes and so on.
- Advanced smooth zipper design can be used for several times. The quality wheels make your trip more comfortable and convenient.
- The golf bag travel case itself comes with soft cushion and carrying handles. The velcro carrying handle is particularly useful to help carry the golf club travel bag whether at airport or station.
- Himal provides a true satisfaction guarantee and don’t hesitate to contact us if there is any problem.
- High quality materials: Made of premium 600D heavy duty polyester oxford, tough enough to protect your golf clubs during travel.
- Pulley upgrade: Advanced smooth zipper design can be used for several times. The quality wheels make your trip more comfortable and convenient.
- Intimate design: The golf bag travel case itself comes with soft cushion and carrying handles. The velcro carrying handle is particularly useful to help carry the golf club travel bag whether at airport or station.
- More space: Multiple zippered compartments for storing extra gear, The additional space on both sides to hold your towel, keys, shoes and so on
- Himal provides a true satisfaction guarantee and don’t hesitate to contact us if there is any problem.
- 【STURDY 1200D OXFORD】Experience the durability and protection of our golf travel bag, crafted with high-density 1200D oxford fabric. Unlike other bags made with easily ripped 600D oxford, our material is twice as strong and able to withstand the wear and tear of travel.
- 【LARGE SPACE】L15" x W14" x H50" gives a spacious space that can accommodate a full set of golf clubs and other supplies. Put your golf shoes, shirt, keys, etc. in the extra space on either side.
- 【MULTI-PROTECTION】Travel with peace of mind, knowing your golf clubs are well protected by our bag's multi-layered defense. The heavy padding at the top effectively guards your club heads from any impacts during transport, while premium lockable zippers and a waterproof coating layer keep them secure and dry.
- 【MORE CONVENIENT】Equipped with fixing straps to keep your gear secure, soft rubber carrying handles for easy transport, and a business card pocket for easy organization. Travel with ease and comfort, knowing that all your needs are taken care of.
- 【EASY TO STORE】A simple fold will allow you to store this bag almost anywhere. And with wide-open zipper, it’s easy to pack and unpack your golf gear. Enjoy hassle-free storage and organization with our versatile bag.
Golf Travel Bags Buyer’s Guide
Picture it: After careful planning and consideration, you and a crew of your best pals have made arrangements for the perfect golf trip – an iconic course, like Scotland’s Royal Dornoch Golf Club, California’s Pebble Beach, Long Island, New York’s Shinnecock Hills, or the Royal County Down Golf Club in North Ireland, perhaps – and you’re so excited that you’re literally jumping for joy just envisioning the feeling you’re sure to experience as you approach the course.
A trip with your buddies, taking on the course that you’ve always longed to play is really a bucket list dream come true. You feel like you’re walking on sunshine, until, that is, you start thinking about packing for your excursion; more specifically, how to pack the most important items that you’ll be bringing along with you: your clubs.
As an avid golfer – no matter your skill level – your clubs are one of your most prized possessions, and it goes without saying that you take great care to keep them in great condition. Unfortunately, traveling can do a number on golf clubs; especially if you’re excursion involves flying because they’ll have to be put under the belly of the plane, and let’s be honest: baggage handlers aren’t always cautious.
In fact, you’ve probably found that you’re belongings are bunged up on previous trips you’ve taken, and that’s the last thing that you want to happen to your golf clubs! Discovering that your precious babies are damaged when you reach your destination can instantly turn your dream golf trip into a real nightmare. That’s why it’s so important to take great care when you’re packing your clubs. How do you do that? Why, by stowing them in a golf travel bag, of course!
Now that you have taken the time to read through our list of the best travel golf bags, it’s easy to see that there are so many different options available. While all of the travel cases that are featured on our list are top-quality, smartly designed, well-made, and manufactured by trusted companies, with so many great choices, you may still be scratching your head when it comes to trying to figure out which one to choose.
Because our goal is to assist you with selecting the perfect golf travel bag that will keep your gear safe while you’re traveling, in this section of our guide, you’ll find some tips that you can use to select the best option for your needs. With that said, here’s a look at some of the key factors that you should take into consideration when you’re shopping for a golf travel bag.
Type of Golf Travel Bag: Hard vs Soft
One of the first things you’re going to want to decide before you start shopping is whether you would like a hard shelled or a soft golf travel bag. Our list features both options, and each one offers distinct benefits, as well as some downsides.
The primary benefits of soft golf travel bags is that they tend to be less expensive, lighter weight, easier to transport, and easy to store when they are in use, as they can be mushed and folded down. The downsides of soft cases is that they don’t offer the same degree of protection, and while they may be made of top-quality materials, such as 600 or 900 denier heavy-duty oxford polyester, there’s still a chance that the items stored inside will be disrupted by external forces. Premium-quality soft golf travel bags are often fitted with additional padding and other elements that provided additional layers of protection.
Hard-shell golf travel bags, on the other hand, and as the name suggests, feature hard exterior shells. They’re made of high-grade, super-durable materials, such as plastic or even fiberglass, and they provide the highest degree of protection.
With that said, however, there are some downsides to hard-shell golf travel cases. For one thing, they tend to be more expensive than soft bags, as their construction is more complex and the materials are more costly. Additionally, hard-shelled cases cannot be rolled down, folded down, or smooshed, and as such, storage may be a concern, as you’ll need a dedicated space to stow this type of case away when it isn’t in use.
Once you decide whether a soft or a hard-shelled golf travel bag will best suit your needs, the next most important thing that you’re going to want to consider is the durability of the case. The entire reason why you are purchasing a travel case is to protect your golf bag and clubs from wear and tear, and the durability of the case has a direct impact on its protective capabilities.
If you’ve decided on a soft golf travel case, look for one that is made of high-grade fabric, such as oxford polyester that is no less than 600 denier, and that’s tear-resistant and waterproof. If you’ve opted for a hard-shelled travel case, make sure that it’s constructed of a top-quality material that is highly durable, yet is lightweight; fiberglass or plastic, for example. If the material is heavy, the case will be too cumbersome, and transporting it will be difficult.
Another feature to be on the lookout for in regard to durability is an internal compression strap system. These systems are comprised of additional padding, usually at the top, bottom, and/or back of the bag, and provide additional protection, as the padding will absorb any shock from bangs, dings, and movement.
Another key feature that you’re going to want to consider when you’re shopping for a golf travel bag is the wheel system. Golf travel bags are big, and no matter how lightweight the bag itself may be, once it’s loaded with your golf bag and clubs, it’s going to be bulky and heavy, and as such, it can be cumbersome to carry.
That’s why a wheel system is so important. Just like luggage, a wheel system allows you to glide a golf travel bag along the floor, which will make walking through airports, hotels, train stations, or anywhere else, a whole lot easier.
The best golf travel bags will be equipped with spinner wheels, like inline skates, which allow you to either push or pull your clubs. The wheels should be made of high-quality, durable materials, and they should be shock-absorbent to ensure long-lasting durability – and to ensure that your clubs.
The Size and Weight of the Bag
Many people forget to take the size and weight of a golf travel bag into consideration. Don’t make the same mistake; the last thing you want to do is purchase a bag that’s too small and/or that is too heavy. Most golf travel bags are large enough to accommodate all types of golf clubs, as well as standing golf bags. With that said, however, don’t assume anything; take the time to check out the dimensions before you make your final decision.
In regard to the weight of the bag, you want to choose one that is lightweight, or else it will quickly become too heavy and difficult to travel with.
Even if the bag is equipped with a reliable, high-quality wheel system, keep in mind that you’re going to have to lift the bag at one point or another (into and out of your car, up and down flights of stairs, etc.), and if it’s too heavy – especially when it’s loaded with your gear – you’re going to have a hard time moving it, and that’s certainly the last thing you want.
The straps and handles that the golf travel bag is equipped with are also important to consider, as it’s the straps and handles that you will be using to move the bag around as you travel. The best golf travel bags are equipped with several straps and/or handles; a shoulder strap, a handle at the top of the case so you can push or pull it behind you, and another handle in the center of the bag so that it can be carried in manner similar to the way you would carry a briefcase.
When you’re considering the straps and/or handles, don’t forget to check out the construction of these features, too. Shoulder straps should be adjustable and feature padding so that you can achieve an ideal and comfortable fit, and handles should be padded, too, to ensure that they are comfortable to carry in your hand.
The straps and/or handles should be reinforced, too; that is, the points where they connect to the travel bag itself should feature extra stitching, and premium-quality materials should be used for the reinforced stitching. If the straps and handles aren’t reinforced, there’s a chance that they could come loose while you’re carrying them.
If you’re like most people, your golf clubs and bag probably aren’t all that you’re going to be stowing inside your golf travel bag; you’ll likely want to store other gear and personal items in the case, as well; extra golf balls and tees, a golf range finder, sunscreen, sunglasses, shirts, and socks, for example. In order to accommodate these additional items, you’ll want to look for a golf travel case that features additional storage pockets, which can be situated internally, externally, or both.
The Closure System
Yet another key factor that you’re going to want to consider when you’re trying to decide which golf travel bag will best suit your needs is the closure system. The closure system is what allows you to open and close the bag, and it’s what keeps your clubs safely secured inside. The best golf travel bags are equipped with high-end, super-durable closure systems that feature dual zippers.
Consider a lockable closure system, too, as it will provide an additional layer of security. Make sure that the closure system allows you to gain easy access to the interior of the bag – and to your clubs – otherwise, it’s pretty much guaranteed that you’re going to get frustrated.
The last – but certainly not the least – factor that you are going to want to take into consideration when you are trying to decide which golf travel bag you should select is the price. As you can see from our list, golf travel bags vary widely in price. Typically, hard-shelled bags are more expensive; additionally, the more features and the higher the quality of the materials, the pricier the bag will be.
Obviously, you don’t want to spend more than you can comfortably afford; however, that said, while a super-low price may be tempting, do keep in mind that oftentimes, you get what you pay for, and when it comes to protecting something as expensive and valuable as your golf clubs, spending a little extra on your golf club travel bag to ensure they have the additional layer of protection would certainly be worth your while.
Golf Travel Bag FAQs
Q: Do I really need a golf travel bag?
A: While you could go without one, if you’re planning on traveling with your golf clubs, investing in a golf travel bag is highly recommended. Why? Well, because you invested a lot in your golf clubs; plus, their condition will have a direct impact on their performance. Traveling can expose the clubs to lots of bangs, dings, dents, and could potentially even end up snapping a club or two. For these reasons and more, investing in a golf travel bag is certainly worthwhile.
Q: How much should I spend?
A: It really depends on what your budget is, how often you intend on traveling, and the mode of transportation you will be taking. For example, if you’ll be flying with your clubs, you may want to spend more than if you are strictly traveling by car.
With the best golf travel bag, you can ensure that some of your most prized possessions – your golf clubs – remain in tip-top condition when you hit the road. With the information presented in this guide, you should be able to find a high-quality bag that will keep your clubs safe and sound.