As a golf fan, the most exciting weeks on the calendar are tournament week. Whether it be The Masters at Augusta National, The US Open at Shinnecock, or a regular PGA Tour event, there’s nothing better than watching your favorite golf stars up close and personal.
One of the questions we get at Golf Monster is from beginner golfers or those who haven’t been to a golf tournament before. Many simply don’t know what to wear when it comes to clothing. They are not sure what’s appropriate and what’s not. Golf is a sport that places the highest emphasis on etiquette, but in reality, for fans, it’s a much more relaxed vibe than what you think.
Just as you would if you were playing, you will be asked to follow specific dress codes and regulations, and as a golf fan, it’s no different. So follow these basic rules and tips to get the most enjoyment out of your fan experience possible.
|Items to Bring
Appropriate Women’s Clothing For A PGA Event
Attending a PGA Tour event is a special occasion, and most women love to ensure they’re looking their very best. Unfortunately, many clothes women wear to a nice dinner party are inappropriate for a golf tournament.
Your clothing needs to be reserved and, more importantly, comfortable because chances are it’s going to be hot and you’ll be doing plenty of walking; unless you’re lucky enough to be in a VIP hospitality tent.
What women should wear:
- Although it’s probably going to be hot, avoid wearing low-cut tops, short skirts, and hot pants; also, try to keep your colors neutral, like whites and navy blues.
- Wearing a traditional classic style will be your best bet; of course, you can add some of your own charm by sprucing your outfit up with a lovely necklace and matching handbag.
- Let’s talk about shoes; this is an easy one. Wear comfortable shoes because you’ll be walking through grass, sand, and maybe even mud. Avoid heels at all costs because although they’re stylish, they’re also a sure-fire way to roll your ankle.
- Go light on the make-up and heavy on the suncream.
- DO NOT forget your wide-brimmed hat and your sunglasses.
Appropriate Men’s Clothing For A PGA Tour Event
The same rules apply to the men as they do to the women when it comes to being a fan at a PGA Tour event. Classic and traditional is your best bet; avoid wearing tank tops and jeans at all costs. If you have tattoos, then covering them up is strongly advised.
What men should wear:
- Neutral colors, a collared shirt or golf polo, plus a nice pair of golf pants or dress shorts.
- Steer clear of outlandish patterns on your shirts or offensive wording.
- Wear a nice pair of tennis shoes or casual sneakers because you’ll be doing a lot of walking. DO NOT wear your golf shoes with golf spikes.
- Don’t wear tee shirts or clothing that advertises sports teams or major sponsors that could contradict the PGA event’s sponsors.
- You’ll also need a hat, visor, and sunglasses
What Should You Bring To A PGA Tournament?
Because PGA Tour events are a lengthy affair, you’ll be out on the course all day, so there are a few essential items that you should bring with you. A backpack will be the perfect way to carry any items you have, like a change of clothes, a jacket, and your phone and wallet.
Check the tournament website before the tournament starts because some events differ from others regarding what you can and cannot bring. You can bring children along but ensure they are quiet and well-mannered, especially while the players are teeing off or putting.
Items to bring:
- Wet weather jacket
- Insect spray
- Portable folding chair and
- Phone (keep it on silent mode)
What You Shouldn’t Bring To A PGA Tournament
Ok, so now you know what to bring with you, let’s look at the items that you’ll want to leave behind. Again, you can check the tournament website for prohibited items.
Things to leave behind:
- Signs and banners
- Offensive clothing or hats
- Radios and
- Video cameras