In a highly unusual conclusion, Wyndham Clark was declared the winner Sunday evening of a weather-shortened AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am that featured his historic, course-record 60 in Saturday’s third round.
- Wyndham Clark shot a historic 12-under 60 in the third round at Pebble Beach to take a 1-shot lead into what was supposed to be the final round
- Heavy rain and high winds on Sunday caused the final round to be postponed to Monday
- After consulting with emergency authorities, officials decided on Sunday evening to cancel the final round due to safety concerns
- With a 1-shot lead after 54 holes, Clark was declared the winner with a score of 17-under par
- It’s Clark’s 3rd win in the last 9 months, after winning his first major at the 2022 US Open
Officials made the decision to cancel Sunday’s postponed final round after consulting with emergency authorities, saying there were still safety concerns for spectators and players from the heavy winds and rains that had battered the Monterey Peninsula throughout the previous day and night.
So Clark’s magical and momentum-seizing 60 on Saturday, when he made three eagles and had legitimate chances for both 59 and the first 58 in PGA Tour history, earned him his third victory in the last nine months.
The 30-year-old American began Sunday six shots off the lead, but quickly rocketed up the leaderboard at famed Pebble Beach Golf Links with his bogey-free 60. At one point during his round, Clark was actually 10-under par through 11 holes after kicking off his round with two early eagles. His score not only broke the Pebble Beach tournament record by two strokes, but far surpassed the previous course record of 61.
When the day began, few would have imagined Clark hoisting the trophy. But he felt victory coming as he walked up the 18th fairway Saturday — with fans rising for a standing ovation and rush of applause after he tapped in for a closing birdie and 12-under 60.
Wyndham Clark has been declared the winner of the AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am after extensive wind and rain forced the PGA to cancel the final day of play ⛳
— Sky Sports News (@SkySportsNews) February 5, 2024
“Honestly, it felt like I won the tournament with that two-putt,” said Clark, last year’s U.S. Open winner.
Ultimately the 60 catapulted him to 17 under overall through 54 holes, one shot ahead of Sweden’s Ludvig Aberg and two clear of France’s Matthieu Pavon. And that one-stroke margin became etched in history Sunday night when officials waved the white flag on finishing the storm-battered tournament.
“It’s pretty surreal right now. It’s maybe not the way you dream of winning,” Clark admitted. “With that said, a lot of us yesterday had — not that we knew — but we definitely had this outside shot and were thinking that maybe this is our last round.”